Friday, March 7, 2008

tying that perfect knot...

I take great pride to announce that today, for the first time in my life I was able to tie a tie knot by myself which was not only wearable, but close to 'the perfect knot'. For someone like me, to whom tying a wearable knot had always been some rocket science “turn it left now, no over to that side, oh now around that loose end” phew those directions, it was a big day today. All those complex formulas made sense to me in just one moment of truth.

I was sitting as usual on my happy place, with pants down till my ankle and dropping crap in the water, on more mundane days the next obvious action would have been to quickly take a power nap before I pack myself back to enter the civilized world again, but today was different. I had a purpose, I had a reason and instead of just crapping my way to a power nap I actually did what I had set out (sat down) to do. It seems odd now how such a mundane daily activity can mean so much more some time.

With thousands of failed efforts riding on my back, the perfect triangle eluding me for so long that it became almost a second Bermuda triangle mystery for me. I had always managed to reach squares and rectangles, managed with lengths short enough to enter my shirt pocket and long enough to enter my zipper. But today it was like I was born with a tie in my hand, swift movement of hands, hands gliding the fabric like a nanny knitting a sweater oblivious to her surroundings, creating a masterpiece for a close loved one.

And..in seconds it was there, the perfect triangle, the perfect length, the perfect knot. I wanted to stand up and clap for myself, but due to the circumstances just kept sitting and clapped anyway. I am proud of the fact that I dint quit on it and love the fact that it happened. Learned an important lesson today......Learning new things is the fastest way to earn self respect.
Stay foolish, stay hungry…..keep learning.

No comments: