Friday, December 18, 2009

Idea factory

If we were allowed to take pictures of people while down loading crap, the pictures will surely find a place in the ‘elated’ or ‘nirvana’ section of the exhibition. It is complete bliss.

I believe restrooms are one of the best places where ideas can originate. It was not reported for obvious reasons, but I am sure Newton was taking a load of crap out under that tree when that apple fell on his head. And when they say Archimedes ran naked in the streets shouting ‘Eureka’ he was not coming out of shower as they proclaim, but was sitting in his crap room I tell you. How else do you think he could have thought ‘density of any material can be identified by the water it displaces.

Think about it, you are alone, relaxed, relieved, happy, free from all sort of inhibitions (come one you have your pants down your ankle what more can you do to feel free) the perfect state of mind I believe to think fresh, think out of the box ideas. People can be most productive when they are happy, and when one sits there, with every passing minute one is left with lesser crap in one’s body than before. So many people think of so many creative things in that 10 minute seating, but all those thoughts go down the drain (pun intended) with a gushing sound.

I have been a strong supporter of placing notebooks and pens inside all office restrooms (hygiene can be taken care of through facilities department and IKEA). It can surely prove to be as fruitful as Google’s “20% personal time for all employee” experiment. These notes will help in the well being of employees as much as providing new fresh thoughts for the company.
And I only speak from experience. I have learned to tie a tie knot while sitting in there, have learned to whistle sitting in there, have thought of process improvements for clients, have made lists of things to do before I die, watched classic movies, finished assignments, prepared presentations, been on chat consoling friends out of suicidal tendencies and all this while I was sitting in there. In fact I have made so many important decisions sitting in there that the pot seat is one of my favorite places to be in when I have to think about a critical decision. It is my thinking seat.

My ‘notes from the restroom’ notebook run into several pages (filled with some random sketches alongside some well defined lists and diagrams etc.) and have helped me a lot in various aspects of my life, personal and professional. I hope a time would come when companies and individuals realize the potential of this location which can be so useful for idea creation and management. I hope you have realized that by now.

So the next time you head toward the restroom don’t forget to carry a notepad (writing on toilet paper is difficult, trust me) and don’t laugh on someone who is doing the same.

Happy crapping.

Thaati
PS: I am enjoying writing, it takes a lot of effort, but I realize I have a lot of stuff I can write about (will anybody enjoy reading is totally different question). Btw, this is a serious thought.

No comments: